The kick-off meeting for the Shift2Rail JU funded project, LOCATE, was held at EVOLEO headquarters from 4 – 5 November 2019 in Porto. LOCATE (Locomotive bOgie Condition mAinTEnance) is a €1.5 million project led by Read more…
Locomotive bOgie Condition mAinTEnance
The LOCATE project will develop a set of tools to access the condition of freight locomotive bogies to implement a condition-based maintenance program.
It is the goal of LOCATE to contribute to an optimization of the availability of rolling stock, the quality of service, maintenance costs and return of investment.
Facts and Figures
The main objective of the LOCATE project is to replace as necessary as possible the preventive conditional or scheduled maintenance of mechanical parts of the bogie by predictive maintenance.
This goal will be achieved by overcoming some of the historical challenges of maintenance subject, by:
1. Developing optimized condition-based maintenance strategies using dynamic tools locating and evaluating the impact on the such overall approach of CBM in maintenance planning and railway operations;
2. Developing intelligent tools integrated for the operation of the overall maintenance policy: supporting localization of faulty components, maintenance scheduling and integrating maintenance operations tasks into daily services, while ensuring appropriate inventory control of stock and spare parts and assigning maintenance crew/ technicians according to their skills/competences;
3. Testing and validating in practice an open architecture able to carry asset management data to the operator beyond the locomotive bogie, locating events and defects on freight wagons, track condition, etc.
4. Developing a minimal digital twin for the bogie system, based on vehicle dynamic simulations and post-processing, while considering the local requirements of the system. In this way, providing a comprehensive methodology to derive minimal digital twins of complex mechatronic railway systems;
5. Applying a cost-effective and reliability-based sensor design to locate defects and monitor structural integrity of critical and high cost components of the bogie following an in-depth analysis of freight-specific use cases;
6. Improving overall competitiveness of freight rail transport, increasing the freight reliability and availability, and providing a shift from inspection activities and associated costs to cost-effective remote defect localization and monitoring solutions.
|WP Number||WP Title||Lead beneficiary|
|WP1||Project Management||EVOLEO TECHNOLOGIES LDA|
|WP2||Requirements and Specifications||EVOLEO TECHNOLOGIES LDA|
|WP4||Reference Behavior||INSTITUTO SUPERIOR TECNICO (IST)|
|WP5||Operational Behavior||UNIVERSITY OF HUDDERSFIELD|
|WP6||Integration and Testing||FERROCARRILS DE LA GENERALITAT DE CATALUNYA (FGC)|
|WP7||Dissemination and Exploitation||UNION INTERNATIONALE DES CHEMINS DE FER (UIC)|
Please note that some of these deliverables might be undergoing S2R JU review and acceptance processes. At this stage these deliverables reflect only the author’s views and the S2R JU is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information they contain.
|WP No||WP Title||Del Rel. No||Title||Description||Lead Beneficiary||Dissemination Level||Est. Del. Date|
|WP1||Project Management||D1.1||Gender Strategy Plan||A plan ensuring gender equality and the consideration of any gender perspectives in the project.||EVOLEO||Public||31 Dec 2019|
|WP1||Project Management||D1.2||Quality Assurance Plan||A plan ensuring that the quality of the technical aspects of the project are fulfilling the necessary criteria.||EVOLEO||Public||31 Jan 2020|
|WP1||Project Management||D1.3||Data Management Plan||A plan that outlines how data are to be handled both during the execution project, and after the project is completed.||EVOLEO||Public||31 Jan 2020|
|WP2||Requirements and Specifications||D2.1||Use Cases Description||A document describing the case study where the demonstrator will be implemented, including the stories, interfaces and actors involved.||UIC||Public||31 Jan 2020|
|WP2||Requirements and Specifications||D2.2||Report on Standard and Regulations||A document describing the research of applicable standards and regulations for the project.||UIC||Public||31 Jan 2020|
|WP2||Requirements and Specifications||D2.3||FMECA Analysis||A document with the report of FMECA Analysis||EVOLEO||Public||31 Mar 2020|
|WP2||Requirements and Specifications||D2.4||Requirements and Architecture Specification||A Document describing the architecture and the requirements that it implements. There will be also associated the tests to be performed as means of verification of the requirements implementation.||VIBRATEC||Public||30 Apr 2020|
|WP3||Measured Behavior||D3.1||Available technologies assessment report||A assessment of available technologies with a trade-off analysis.||VIBRATEC||Public||30 Apr 2020|
|WP3||Measured Behavior||D3.2||Impact on safety levels assessment report||A document identifying the impact of installing systems on the safety certifications of the train.||UIC||Public||31 Jan 2021|
|WP4||Reference Behavior||D4.1||Available Models Assessment Report||Report with the assessment of existing models and simulations applicable to the project, including results from associated projects.||IST||Public||30 Apr 2020|
|WP4||Reference Behavior||D4.3||Simulation and Post Processing Results Report||A report containing the results expected as behaviour based on simulations||IST||Public||31 Jul 2021|
|WP4||Reference Behavior||D4.4||Behavior Prediction Report||A report accessing the quality of the project results regarding predictive degradation of components.||VIBRATEC||Public||31 Oct 2021|
|WP5||Operational Behavior||D5.1||Operational Constraints Identification Report||A document describing operational constraints in maintenance shops with relevance for LOCATE project||UIC||Public||30 Apr 2020|
|WP5||Operational Behavior||D5.2||Monitoring and Thresholds Rules Specification||A set of specifications for thresholds and monitoring rules.||UIC||Public||30 Jun 2020|
|WP5||Operational Behavior||D5.4||Assessment report of unplanned events on planned maintenance||A study on how unplanned maintenance will interfere with already defined planification.||FGC||Public||31 Oct 2021|
|WP6||Integration and Testing||D6.4||Predictive Maintenance Program Implementation and Results Report||Contains the evaluation of the prototype system implementation in comparison to the requirements established in Task 2.2 and the associated lessons learnt, and the description of the steps and effort required to develop a final safe operational product.||UIC||Public||31 Oct 2021|
|WP7||Dissemination and Exploitation||D7.1||Dissemination and Communication Plan||Detailed action plan for reaching the target audiences. It will focus on time planning of the various activities in this WP and on defining communication strategies in order to maximise the impact of the project dissemination.||UIC||Public||29 Feb 2020|
|WP7||Dissemination and Exploitation||D7.2||Report on dissemination activities||This document will report all dissemination and communication actions performed during the project life.||UIC||Public||31 Oct 2021|
|WP7||Dissemination and Exploitation||D7.3||Exploitation Plan||This document will present the project exploitation plan.||EVOLEO||Public||31 Oct 2021|
|WP7||Dissemination and Exploitation||D7.4||Recommendations Brochure||This document will be a recommendations document which can be a basis of recommendations for new standards.||UIC||Public||31 Oct 2021|
Mr. Magno SANTOS
EVOLEO TECHNOLOGIES LDA
Ms. Christine HASSOUN